Tuesday, November 1, 2016

Beautiful Memories...


During the last few days these memories kept coming back. I just do not know why but then nothing happens without a reason. Every moment of that happening became vivid; just like yesterday. The actual happening was in 1961 and the month was either November or December; a time during the Northeast monsoon and it always rains. And I loved the rain. It always reminds me of my growing up period as well during my youth in Kuantan. It a happening that is now part of the history of my life. At that time, I was working at the Education Department in a building above a bank at the end of the Main Street, Kuantan. Nearby is a restaurant call Capitol. On one Sunday, I went there for lunch alone. I did not have a girlfriend at that time. I enter the building and got a table near the door and order my lunch. Then I saw her with a male friend waiting for their lunch at the far end of the hall. I look again and was sure that it her alright, the girl that I had just met at her house some time ago who was introduce to me by a friend Mokhtar. Mokhtar was working at the Cold Storage at the end of Wall Street which is opposite the Telecom Exchange where she works.  I braved myself and went to meet them at their table. I then introduced myself to the man and just say halo to her. Then I went to finished my lunch and left the place. It was just a meeting of someone that I had just known and at that moment in time it was insignificant. I soon forget about it and think nothing of that happening until recently.  She is Asmah Abdul Rahman who later became my wife till these days. So as not to forget about it I am writing it here; an episode of the story of my life.

To digress a little. The first girl that I like was Bahariah Mat Sheikh but she later married someone else from Kuala Lumpur of her parent's choice. After a few years of marriage they separated; she remain a divorcee and never remarried. She then came to live at her younger sister's house nearby my place in Ampang Jaya. She dies some years ago. Then when I was working at the Education Department I met at gorgeous girl who is a bit older than I am. She is Sharifah Zaleha of the Aljunid family. She would often ask me to accompany her going out especially whenever she wanted to visit relatives. One such place is in Tanjung Lumpur, a Fisherman village across the Kuantan River. To get there we had to take a boat from a Jetty on the town-side of the river. Most of the other times we would spend the time together listening to song and music played on the gramophone at her house. At that time, she lives with her elder sister who is a teacher. Two other of her sibling live there too. One day I proposed to her and in a letter, she rejected my proposal giving her reason that she is yet not prepared to get married.  I accept her refusal and we continue to be just a friend at the office. I later found that she never got married and die young while still in service with the government. My sister Fatimah Bee did introduce a few of her friends to me but I never get to liking any of them. I then met a nurse Masmah Hj Idris who was working at the Kuantan Hospital. She was from Segamat in the state of Johor. In those days Segamat  was a faraway place and not many Johorean work  in this part of the country. We became a close friend and planned to get married but that relationship did not last when her parents decided to marry her against her wish to someone else in Segamat. This time I was rather depressed and my life was in a mess but I decided to move on with my life with no girlfriend, not until I met Asmah Abdul Rahman. Incidentally she looks like Masmah, even their names sound the same. It was like the Malay saying Patah Tumbuh Hilang Berganti ["What is once lost, will always be replaced with a new one"]. And that marriage blessed us with three daughters and five grandchildren. We are now on our 54th years of a wonderful marriage and if God permit we would be celebrating our 55th Anniversary come February 3, 2017. Well folks, life is like that.

Have a nice day.

No comments: