Skip to main content

The Museum Masjid Sultan Abdullah, Pekan...

A few years ago, I went for a visit to Pekan, the royal town of Pahang. While there I saw the oldest mosque there, the Sultan Abdullah Mosque was left in ruin. It was a beautiful mosque built by the British colonial authority in 1929. It was the first and the oldest constructed in the Moorish architecture as most great mosque were built during that era. I was sad seeing that beautiful mosque left to rot. I then wrote to the Pahang state authority to do whatever necessary to preserve that historic mosque; a piece of history of the state of Pahang. I soon forgot about it and on my recent visit I saw that they have renovated the old mosque and turn it into a museum and at the same time retained the name of the mosque. It is now call the Museum Masjid Sultan Abdullah. A month earlier on a visit to Pekan I saw the mosque had been renovated but did not have the time to visit it; I was concentrating on another museum the Museum Sultan Abu Bakar nearby. Last July 20, 2017 I decided to make an exclusive visit to the museum with a view of blogging about it. With the help of the friendly staffs I make my round of the museum. I was told that other than been a museum a section of it is still used as a prayer place. A beautiful thought indeed; and I am glad that they did it as it provides a continuity of what the place was once; a place where the royal and the ordinary folks did their Friday Prayer as well their daily prayer in such a prestigious space in the new mosque at that time. 

After doing my round there I did an optional prayer and felt enlighten in been able to pray in such a magnificent prayer space in the newly renovated part of the mosque. In this new museum many artifacts of historical significance like old handwritten Quran, musical instruments, traditional tools for communication at prayer times, ceramic plates with Koranic texts are display turning it into a museum of Islamic history of sort. 

One exhibit that I thought is very important is the Tombstone of a grave found at Teluk Che Munah, Kampung Permatang Pasir, Pulau Tambun in Pekan on June 1953, that dated back to the year 1028 AD. It predates the Inscribed Stone found in Terengganu dated 1302 AD. The state authority has done a great job in converting this old and historic mosque into a museum and named it as the Museum Masjid Sultan Abdullah. The collections on display are done in a professional way thus it now has become a place to learn or do research on the history of Islam especially that has to do with the arrival of Islam to the state of Pahang.  I am impressed with the layout of the newly renovated space. It has indeed turn the whole prayer space into a living museum on the history Islam and in doing so has made the old mosque building as relevant as ever. 

Students or researchers on Islam especially so on the coming of Islam to this part of the world would be wise to visit this new museum. It a storehouse of knowledge on Islam as well a marketplace of information and ideas on the history of Islam. I left the place happy that the building that was once left to rot has now became a magnificent building of knowledge in this part of the world. Folks it worth a trip to Pekan to visit this important Museum which is just 45 kilometers away from Kuantan. 

Have a nice day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The city of Kuala Lumpur...

This is an image of the city as seen through my lens.  Taken using the mirrorless camera Fujifilm with a 230  mm lens. At 8.08 am today 9.5 2023. Enjoy it folks.

Halwa Maskat...

Sudah lama tidak merasai Halwa Maskat. Sangat sukar untuk dapat dibeli dipasaran pada masa ini. Puas dicari tetapi yang dapat tidaklah sesedap yang dibuat sendiri. Ini kerana bukan senang hendak membuatnya. Pertama hanya boleh dibuat dengan mengunakan Periok atau Belanga Tembaga. Belanga tredisi ini masih dibuat di Terengganu dan boleh dapat dibeli di Pasar Payang di Kuala Terengganu. Mengodel dan mengacawnya tampa berhenti mengambil masa tidak kurang dari tiga jam. Oleh itu hanya dengan menguna Belanga Tembaga yang tebal ini sajalah dapat menjamin juadah tredisi ini betul betul menjadi. Seminggu sudah NekNyang siapkan bahan bahan nya dan pada pagi Sabtu 7.11.20 ini bersama dengan anak dan cucu telah dapat dibuatnya. Alhamdulillah. Memang sedap. Recipe nya adalah turunmenurun dari Ayah saya yang membuat juadah ini sebagai makanan istimewa dihidang dan dijual direstaurannya di Kuantan pada setiap bulan Ramadan. Nasib baiklah isteri saya Asmah pada masa itu berumor dalam leng

The Sunrise at Teluk Cempedak...

We were in Kuantan for a short holiday. As usual I always take the time to watch the sunrise at Teluk Cempedak; a beach that I call my own. I grew up playing on that sandy beach from the age of seven years old and I felt in love with the sea. So going to that beach is a ritual that I never missed to do whenever I am in Kuantan.  Early that Saturday morning of September 3, 2016 I woke early and with my nephew driving we left for the beach at around 6.30am. According to the data I had the sun would rise at Teluk Cempedak at 7.01am that morning. When we arrived at the beach there were already others there waiting for the sun to rise. I had brought my latest camera the Canon EOS M10 with me. It is a Mirrorless camera, the new new generation of the DSLR. It is much smaller than the DSLR and have interchangeable lens. As soon as I got there I walk along the beach and enjoy the freshness of the morning air. Yonder at the horizon I could see some light as the the sun makes it