Skip to main content

A Saturday thoughts...

Good Morning, it a gorgeous Saturday, the last weekend in September 2020. There is an election going on in the state of Sabah on the island of Borneo. Hope it went well and we see a new state government that could provides good governance to the rakyat there. For today I would like to share my thoughts on the role of the Social media in our lives. I always love technology and decides to use it the best I could. After I retired from the government service in 1990 I tried to find a way to share my thoughts using the new found means, the Internet. After experimenting a few ways I found blogging. It a platform to write and share one's thoughts in a blog. Even the word blog is new, so in 2003 I tried using Blogger.com to share my thoughts. At that juncture of my life after retirement what else could I do except to share my thoughts and voila I found a way in blogging. At that time one had to pay a small fee to use the Blogger platform, so I join in and start blogging. To insert images and provides link we had to write a computer coding of which Blogger folks taught us to do. So slowly I learn the basic of coding, ha ha! It works. Then Blogger.com was bought over by Google and we were given free to use the platform. As we move on a new interface was introduced making it much easier to blog. Soon the number of bloggers increases and the Malaysian blogger community was born and established. We are linked and at time meet in person or in large group where cyber folks met in the real world. We made friends and life became more interesting. Soon the Blogger community increases in numbers to some 600 thousands. To cut the story short then Facebook arrived and the Blogger community dwindle and only the hard core including me stayed. I too join FB but continues to blog but over time I found FB is too stressful. It does not made me happy especially when bantering. I want to be in a Social Media platform that made me happy. I tried to leave FB and it was not easy and only after a fourth try did I succeeded in getting out of FB. Voila I won! So I continue to blog and enjoy sharing my thoughts. Well folks the  Social Media is a good platform but only if it made one happy and not otherwise.  

Have a nice day.

Comments

sabre23t said…
Salam Pak Idrus,
I retired this year. I still have an FB account but rarely post there. I agree too stressful there. Nowadays I more often micro blog on Twitter threads. Though I still have a number of websites/blogs that I now hope to more than occasionally update.😇
wassalam,
S.M.Sabri
Pak Idrus said…

sabre23t, thanks for the visit and sharing your thoughts here. Great to know that you are retiring from working and I believe would continue to enjoy life. As I have done since my retirement 30 years ago I still continue to contribute to society and I could do that by blogging. I left FB and TWitter since it not worth wasting my time there. Blogging give me the opportunity to share my thoughts. In blogging Thinking and Writing are sort of a nutritions for the brain, thus it kept me as healthy at 81 now. Whether folks read my posting is immaterial although I know folks do read it and at time left comment and to that I always replied. Now google the owner of Blogger.com have provides Apps so as to enable us to blog from the Smartphone. The interface of blogging has changed since september this year. The new interface is made so that we blog from the Smartphone. I do that now that is why my posting now is short. I am getting used to it and enjoying blogging that way. Remember folks now no long read long posting, so the short post does got the message out as loud and clear to the present generation. I would suggest that you blog again. I believe like me you would continue to share your thoughts to the society. Have a nice day.
Syazni Rahim said…
Assalamualaikum Pak Idrus, I have to agree with the part that u said blogs doomed when FB is introduced. Me myself had stop blogging for a while for the joy that FB brought us, at first. But over time, I realized that I love blog more, then I continue to blog again.

As for FB, I let it to become a much more personal platform, just for family and close friends.

Happy weekend ahead! ;)
Pak Idrus said…
Syaz Rahim, Mualaikumusalam, Thanks for the visit and sharing your thoughts on this subject. Well the joy on FB was not really a joy, to me it was stressful. Anyway I am no longer there as well on Twitter. For personal matter with family and close friends I use WhatsApp. I believed most of my blogger friends would be blogging again. Ha Ha! it looks like Weekend is fast-forward nowadays lah, Cepat betul masa berlalu!

Have a nice day.

Popular posts from this blog

The city of Kuala Lumpur...

This is an image of the city as seen through my lens.  Taken using the mirrorless camera Fujifilm with a 230  mm lens. At 8.08 am today 9.5 2023. Enjoy it folks.

Halwa Maskat...

Sudah lama tidak merasai Halwa Maskat. Sangat sukar untuk dapat dibeli dipasaran pada masa ini. Puas dicari tetapi yang dapat tidaklah sesedap yang dibuat sendiri. Ini kerana bukan senang hendak membuatnya. Pertama hanya boleh dibuat dengan mengunakan Periok atau Belanga Tembaga. Belanga tredisi ini masih dibuat di Terengganu dan boleh dapat dibeli di Pasar Payang di Kuala Terengganu. Mengodel dan mengacawnya tampa berhenti mengambil masa tidak kurang dari tiga jam. Oleh itu hanya dengan menguna Belanga Tembaga yang tebal ini sajalah dapat menjamin juadah tredisi ini betul betul menjadi. Seminggu sudah NekNyang siapkan bahan bahan nya dan pada pagi Sabtu 7.11.20 ini bersama dengan anak dan cucu telah dapat dibuatnya. Alhamdulillah. Memang sedap. Recipe nya adalah turunmenurun dari Ayah saya yang membuat juadah ini sebagai makanan istimewa dihidang dan dijual direstaurannya di Kuantan pada setiap bulan Ramadan. Nasib baiklah isteri saya Asmah pada masa itu berumor dalam leng

The Sunrise at Teluk Cempedak...

We were in Kuantan for a short holiday. As usual I always take the time to watch the sunrise at Teluk Cempedak; a beach that I call my own. I grew up playing on that sandy beach from the age of seven years old and I felt in love with the sea. So going to that beach is a ritual that I never missed to do whenever I am in Kuantan.  Early that Saturday morning of September 3, 2016 I woke early and with my nephew driving we left for the beach at around 6.30am. According to the data I had the sun would rise at Teluk Cempedak at 7.01am that morning. When we arrived at the beach there were already others there waiting for the sun to rise. I had brought my latest camera the Canon EOS M10 with me. It is a Mirrorless camera, the new new generation of the DSLR. It is much smaller than the DSLR and have interchangeable lens. As soon as I got there I walk along the beach and enjoy the freshness of the morning air. Yonder at the horizon I could see some light as the the sun makes it