Skip to main content

The Flags in Colonial Malaya...

In this posting I want to talk about Flags. I was born in 1939 and grew up during the Japanese occupation of Malaya from 1941 to 1945. So the first flag I saw was the Japanese flag, the white flag with the red circle in the centre. With the return of the British authority the Union Jack was again flown everywhere. With the defeat of the Japanese and the return of the British authority in Malaya the school was reopened. Except for the Japanese school all other schools was closed during the Japanese occupation. In January 1946 I start schooling. I remember my father took me to Sekolah Melayu Teruntun at Jalan Gambut in Kuantan. From the shop-house at Wall Street [now Jalan Mahkota] where we live we walk across the Padang, then follow the path across the grassland behind the Kuantan District Office to the school. The school is across the road with a few Pokok Kelapa Bali planted in front near the roadside. Kelapa Bali is what the Oil Palm is now known. It was at the school that I first saw the flag,  the white and black of the Pahang state flag, as well the Union Jack, the flag of the British colonial authority. Before 1948 all the states of Tanah Melayu are independent states with the state of Pahang  rule by the Sultan of the state. At that time the Sultan of Pahang was Sultan Abu Bakar bin Abdullah. It was the time before the Federation of Malaya was form thus there was no federal flag. We live at the shop-house and we would play along the Kaki Lima of the rows of shop-houses. Many of the shop are turn into Chinese Clan's club and inside all the clubhouses are the Chinese flag and Portrait of their leader which I latter found out is the flag of the Kuomintang and the portrait of Chiang Kai Shek. Along the Bukit Ubi road in the shop-houses opposite the Padang was where the Chattier do their business as Money-lander. Inside these shop hangs the Indian flag and the portrait of Gandhi; at that time I did not know it was the flag of India and that portrait was that of the famous Mahatma Gandhi. Anyway to us kids the flags are of no significant and thought was just sort of a decoration inside or outside buildings. It was later when I became a Boy Scout that they tell us about the important of flag and that it must be given due respect. One aspect that I still remember till these day is that never ever step on the flag of your country. It should be always be flying high and be proud of it. Even to these days I have the Jalur Gemilang flown in front of my house especially on Merdeka day and I just could not understand why my non Malay neighbours never fly the flag. I have live in this neighbourhood since 1974 and have not seen any of them flown the flag in front of their houses. Sad indeed. To me the flag is a symbol of nationalism representing the freedom and dignity of the country and must be given due respect. Above is the flag of the State of Pahang.

Have a nice day.                            

Comments

Flags World said…
Please share some information aboutUnited Arab Emirates Flag

Popular posts from this blog

The city of Kuala Lumpur...

This is an image of the city as seen through my lens.  Taken using the mirrorless camera Fujifilm with a 230  mm lens. At 8.08 am today 9.5 2023. Enjoy it folks.

Halwa Maskat...

Sudah lama tidak merasai Halwa Maskat. Sangat sukar untuk dapat dibeli dipasaran pada masa ini. Puas dicari tetapi yang dapat tidaklah sesedap yang dibuat sendiri. Ini kerana bukan senang hendak membuatnya. Pertama hanya boleh dibuat dengan mengunakan Periok atau Belanga Tembaga. Belanga tredisi ini masih dibuat di Terengganu dan boleh dapat dibeli di Pasar Payang di Kuala Terengganu. Mengodel dan mengacawnya tampa berhenti mengambil masa tidak kurang dari tiga jam. Oleh itu hanya dengan menguna Belanga Tembaga yang tebal ini sajalah dapat menjamin juadah tredisi ini betul betul menjadi. Seminggu sudah NekNyang siapkan bahan bahan nya dan pada pagi Sabtu 7.11.20 ini bersama dengan anak dan cucu telah dapat dibuatnya. Alhamdulillah. Memang sedap. Recipe nya adalah turunmenurun dari Ayah saya yang membuat juadah ini sebagai makanan istimewa dihidang dan dijual direstaurannya di Kuantan pada setiap bulan Ramadan. Nasib baiklah isteri saya Asmah pada masa itu berumor dalam leng

The Sunrise at Teluk Cempedak...

We were in Kuantan for a short holiday. As usual I always take the time to watch the sunrise at Teluk Cempedak; a beach that I call my own. I grew up playing on that sandy beach from the age of seven years old and I felt in love with the sea. So going to that beach is a ritual that I never missed to do whenever I am in Kuantan.  Early that Saturday morning of September 3, 2016 I woke early and with my nephew driving we left for the beach at around 6.30am. According to the data I had the sun would rise at Teluk Cempedak at 7.01am that morning. When we arrived at the beach there were already others there waiting for the sun to rise. I had brought my latest camera the Canon EOS M10 with me. It is a Mirrorless camera, the new new generation of the DSLR. It is much smaller than the DSLR and have interchangeable lens. As soon as I got there I walk along the beach and enjoy the freshness of the morning air. Yonder at the horizon I could see some light as the the sun makes it